Trying to put into words the different lessons and take aways from yesterday’s meet has proved more difficult than I had originally thought it would be. Probably because I’m not quite sure exactly what each of them are. But I will give you a glimpse into one outcome that made my heart giddy.

Having been blessed with a house to sleep at in Sacramento on Friday night meant that I was able to wake at a normal hour, eat a normal breakfast, have a normal cup of coffee before heading to the meet. Hallelujah! My body felt great! I knew going into this meet that there were 21 competitors and the bar was starting at 9ft (2.85m), so my coach and I decided to try something completely new: no warm up before the start of the event. Usually, in a meet scenario, you would warm up your body so that 30-40min before the start of your event you could spend time on the runway getting your marks, doing practice jumps, and getting a feel for the environment. The problem when there are that many competitors and a bar that starts too much below your opening height is, you do your entire warm up and then sit for an hour and half before you take your first jump of the competition. This causes you to have to “re-warm up” your body before you actually compete. Having to go through the process multiple times causes fatigue, and wastes energy that you would rather spend on jumps within the competition. On the other hand, when you don’t warm up before the event (saving energy stores) you end up with a 2 minute window, just before your opening bar, to warm up.┬áSense of time is a funny thing. Try holding your breath for two minutes and it will feel like eternity. Try running down a 100ft runway with a 14 foot pole, then communicate with your coach, make adjustments, go back, do it again, make more adjustments… and wait… I think the two minutes were up ten minutes ago. But it was new, and it held the promise of fresh legs, and we went for it. And you know what?! It worked! Not only did it work, but it left me feeling fast, and fresh, and ready to take on the competition! I was pleased.

It was a risk, but a risk worth taking. Other things may have gone awry, but at the end of the day, that was one success worth holding on to!

Two of my other favorite things from the day:

I had one incredibly loving “team mom” and one fantastically supportive “interim coach” who stepped up to make SOAR Sac State a trip worth remembering!


And I got to see our state capitol building for the first time in my 28 years of life!

photo 2